Click to enable Recite Accessibility Features

Breaking

Dyslexia In Education - It's not shameful to ask for help!

Dyslexia in education - It's not shameful to ask for help.


I’m Maz Cope, 25 years old, from Bath and I’m dyslexic. I was diagnosed at the age of 24 in my final year of my Bachelor of Arts Creative Writing degree, after my lecturer, Dr Martin Randall (University of Gloucestershire) acknowledged a pattern of errors in my work. 
Maz Cope receiving her award from the Media Trust.
Maz Cope - "It's not shameful to ask for help
when you are struggling.

I am glad he told me in my first dissertation session that I needed to see a disability advisor for a dyslexia assessment because the help I received from my study skills tutor, Katie Masterson, boosted my grades and helped me to understand the mistakes I made and I felt a weight lifted from my shoulders. It is NOT shameful to ask for help when you are struggling or to admit you are struggling and need support. Being dyslexic DOES NOT mean you are thick, it is another way of looking at situations or tasks. Generally many people who are dyslexic, excel in other areas and are very creative. The late great boxer, Mohammad Ali, Physicist, Albert Einstein, who was considered a genius and director, Stephen Spielberg are all dyslexic.These are just a few public figures who have come forward.


The finalists for the Breaking Into News Competition, Media Trust
The finalists for the 'Breaking Into News' Competition
from The Media Trust.
I came runner up in a national competition, Breaking intoNews, run by the Media Trust, 16-24 year olds. There were thousands of applicants, which whittled to 9 finalists, representing each region, 1 winner and 1 runner up. We were asked to create a report on a subject that matters to us, so I chose adults who have dyslexia. My main aim is to get more teachers to acknowledge patterns in students’ work, so they too can have an assessment and the support they need, so they won’t have to grow up without knowing. My mentor, Richard Payne and I created the report so it shows a personal account, using several acquaintances for interviews.  72 Year old, Rod Griffiths, who also has dyslexia, has a Masters in Creative Writing and forged a successful medical career. 

It just goes to show that dyslexia is NOT a curse but instead it is a gift. 

Maz Cope
@mazcope

We are expecting Maz's news report to become available soon and when it does I will get that posted for you to see.

No comments:

Featured post

Something new is coming to The Studying With Dyslexia Blog.

Something new is coming to The Studying With Dyslexia Blog. For almost 4 years, the Studying With Dyslexia Blog has sought to bri...

Powered by Blogger.